Materials guide for LEGO selling & shipping including postage box sizes

On 11/17/2018 at 10:13 AM, TabbyBoy said:

That reminds me... Staples UK have some good deals currently along with cashback/vouchers on www. I recently had 50x 600x400x100mm boxes, 50x 400x200x100mm boxes and 100m of 750mm big bubble-wrap delivered for £58 - and I'm now VAT registered ?

Got links to these? Searching 600x400 or even just 600 gives no results.

Cheers.

Guest TabbyBoy

With Staples you can also stack other vouchers (eg. Vouchercloud) and still get the TCB. They also send you more codes once you've ordered. Simply the best value IMHO.

I also now get free double-walled boxes (approx. small parcel max.) from a few local petshops and vets. They are the ones that have 84 sachets of Whiskas cat food that my Tabby happens to like!

• 3 weeks later...

For those that use UPS, help me with what I'm missing. Compared to FedEx or USPS, UPS rates seem to be almost double. For small packages, or large packages, they aren't even in the ballpark.

Is it my location in the middle of the country that is a factor, or is it me being stupid and missing something obvious that's the factor?

UPS would be much more convenient, but not at their premium.

54 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

For those that use UPS, help me with what I'm missing. Compared to FedEx or USPS, UPS rates seem to be almost double. For small packages, or large packages, they aren't even in the ballpark.

Is it my location in the middle of the country that is a factor, or is it me being stupid and missing something obvious that's the factor?

UPS would be much more convenient, but not at their premium.

Did you sign up for a business account? Are you looking at their retail rates? I don't use UPS often, well at all (unless buyer provides the labels), but when I've checked before, it's been slightly more, not double. Could be a quirk, given the particular dimensions and weight of one package, I guess.

7 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

I am probably just looking a their retail rates, which would explain the difference. I'm basically going to their website and getting shipping cost estimates. I suppose I should look into a business account.

FedEx and UPS are always going at it so if you are comparing retail rates they should not be that different.

USPS to FedEx/UPS is not really a fair comparison so I'd expect some discrepancy there.

I would definitely open up a business account.  Some business credit cards offer some type of discounted rate offer (Amex, I think?), and those credit cards sometimes offer double or triple miles if miles is your thing.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ichiroll said:

FedEx and UPS are always going at it so if you are comparing retail rates they should not be that different.

USPS to FedEx/UPS is not really a fair comparison so I'd expect some discrepancy there.

I would definitely open up a business account.  Some business credit cards offer some type of discounted rate offer (Amex, I think?), and those credit cards sometimes offer double or triple miles if miles is your thing.

Right, that's not really my point. It was really, are you comparing FedEx business rate to UPS retail rate? Maybe that's it, maybe its not.

7 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

Right, that's not really my point. It was really, are you comparing FedEx business rate to UPS retail rate? Maybe that's it, maybe its not.

yup i agree, I was adding that the rates should not be different.

Also just responding to iahawks comment about opening up a business account.

8 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

I was comparing the Ebay shipping rate (FedEx and USPS) with the UPS rate they quote on their website. I guess that's the retail rate.

This is a really helpful article! 

I was interested in knowing what the average size of a lego set was. And I couldn't find any answer on the internet!! So I took matters into my own hands, and I found the answer! 

And here it is... 13.69 x 9.42 x 3.24. I took ten sets, five of LEGO's biggest sets, and five of their smallest sets. I will probably do 100 sets to get a more accurate answer. But that's it! 

So I suppose that if you buy a box around the 13.69 x 9.42 x 3.24 mark, it should fit. But I still look at what the sizes of the sets I order, and get the box to fit them. 

But I just wanted an idea of the average set size. 

• 3 weeks later...

So, I am new to all of this and have just started selling sets this past holiday season. My biggest issue so far has been finding the right size boxes for shipping. I would like to get box sizes that could fit a variety of sets, but I don't want 20 stacks of different sized boxes laying around my house. So what I am asking is, if there are like 3-4 different box sizes that I should purchase that will fit the majority of the sets? I tried looking back through this thread and in the general shipping thread and couldn't find anything, sorry if this has been discussed before.

23 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

So, I am new to all of this and have just started selling sets this past holiday season. My biggest issue so far has been finding the right size boxes for shipping. I would like to get box sizes that could fit a variety of sets, but I don't want 20 stacks of different sized boxes laying around my house. So what I am asking is, if there are like 3-4 different box sizes that I should purchase that will fit the majority of the sets? I tried looking back through this thread and in the general shipping thread and couldn't find anything, sorry if this has been discussed before.

majority of all your small to mid size sets will fit in 6x6x4 8x6x4 12x9x4  12x12x4 14x8x4 15x15x4 16x12x4

your mid to large sets fit in the following

20x12x4 20x16x4 20x15x6 24x16x4 24x16x6 24x20x4 24x20x6 and 24x20x8

now as you can see on the larger ones you can go with the bigger and eliminate some but if you get an opposite coaster you will pay for it dearly in the dim weight.  Like 2 or 3 of those could almost pay for your pack of boxes of the smaller size.

those sizes pretty much knock out every LEGO configuration though.   The 15x15x4 isn't used that much and that one you could just go with the 20x16x4 as there is no dim difference on that.

Same with the 20x16x4, that could do the 20x12x4 which is a common one.  Only advantage to have both in that case is if the smaller keeps it under another pound which saves you $1-3 per package depending on zone.

There's a few others like 12x6x3 that fits the pullback technic sets and keeps them under a pound so they can go first class.  That can be a $2-6 savings right there if going to farthest zone from the difference of 16oz and 2lb priority.  

So it is really important to study rates, dim, zones as well and know what you are shipping and volume.  A lot of people make comments about box costs but having the right box in a situation can save and pay for many other boxes.

Edited by ravenb99
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Co-sign raven's post. I'd add a few things.

Check the first post in the thread for examples of sets that fit different boxes. Compare the sets you've bought/intend to buy against that list. Then get an assortment of boxes that cover most of your needs.

If you're comfortable with the risk from the flimsier construction, order some of the free USPS Priority boxes. They're especially useful for sub-15" long sets that are over 16oz packed.

If you've got sub 10" sets and time, just make your own boxes from bigger boxes that you wouldn't otherwise reuse.

The biggest PITA sets are the 18x12xX and 24x12xX. Also the taller sets like Architecture Studio and Classic boxes like 10704.

Lastly, you also have to consider whether you're going to be fulfilling multi-set orders that require deeper shipping boxes.

• Like 1

After this Christmas season I noticed a clear and significant difference in shipping costs between a box that has a dimension of 24 x 14 x 6 and 23 x 14 x 6 when shipping priority. I try to reuse as many amazon boxes as possible and what Im finding is their boxes are 23 in L not 24............ Has anyone else noticed this trend recently?

After this Christmas season I noticed a clear and significant difference in shipping costs between a box that has a dimension of 24 x 14 x 6 and 23 x 14 x 6 when shipping priority. I try to reuse as many amazon boxes as possible and what Im finding is their boxes are 23 in L not 24............ Has anyone else noticed this trend recently?

6” tall is what’s causing most of the jump in shipping. The next time you ship, change it to 4” or 5” and you will see a big difference. 23” or 24” L isn’t causing the trouble in my experience.
  • Like 3

On 1/3/2019 at 9:05 PM, mizeur said:

Co-sign raven's post. I'd add a few things.

Check the first post in the thread for examples of sets that fit different boxes. Compare the sets you've bought/intend to buy against that list. Then get an assortment of boxes that cover most of your needs.

If you're comfortable with the risk from the flimsier construction, order some of the free USPS Priority boxes. They're especially useful for sub-15" long sets that are over 16oz packed.

If you've got sub 10" sets and time, just make your own boxes from bigger boxes that you wouldn't otherwise reuse.

The biggest PITA sets are the 18x12xX and 24x12xX. Also the taller sets like Architecture Studio and Classic boxes like 10704.

Lastly, you also have to consider whether you're going to be fulfilling multi-set orders that require deeper shipping boxes.

This is really good advice.  I have been recipient of 15 x 10.3 x 2.8 sets (very common size LEGO box) squeezed into 15.3 x 12.4 x 3 inch Priority boxes and, while they fit, they do not hold up well during transit.  I'd only go down this path if you're selling an already damaged box.